Saturday, July 23, 2011

Free Tutorial for Beaded Washers

I've decided that I should share one of my washer designs since I've been obsessing over them recently. Mandy of Beads for Brains: 365 featured the project she made today from working off my basic pattern. Her necklace sure is a beauty!!!

Materials:

· Delicas

· Size 8° seed beads

· Fireline

· Needle

· Scissors

· Washer (any size)


Step 1: Attaching the thread to a washer.

Make a loop with the tail of your thread using an overhand knot (Fig. 1).


Fig. 1


Make a lark’s head knot around a washer by passing the needle through the washer and then through the loop (Fig. 2). Pull tight.


Fig. 2


Step 2: First Round

String two Delicas. Pass the thread under the washer and back through the second Delica (Fig. 3).


Fig. 3


Using this brick stitch technique, continue adding one bead at a time until the washer is stitched with an even number of beads. Pass down through the first bead, under the washer, and back through the first bead. The first round is complete (Fig. 4).


Fig. 4


*Note: you can use either seed beads or accent beads for the first round. This creates variety among the pieces.


Step 3: Second Round

String one accent bead in a contrasting color from the first round. Pass down through the adjacent seed bead and up through the third (Fig. 5). Repeat around the washer. Weave the thread through the work and trim.


Fig. 5


And here's the finished washer! This is just one of many possibilities with this technique. Experiment and enjoy!


19 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this tutorial. I was in awe when I read Mandy's blog on this washer technique that you shared with her. I can not wait to try it myself.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Terese - thank you. I will be trying it myself :)

    Bead Soup Mix

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi:-)
    Beaded Washers are fantastic!
    Incredible idea and fabulous effect!
    Best Greetings-Halinka-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sending me the tutorial in the first place! I had a great time with it and you've gotten some awesome compliments via my post! Thanks again for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there, Thanks for sharing such a creative idea. Found your blog through Mandy's blog. I am liking what I see so far. Can't wait to see what you come up with next.
    -Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, blog-hopped here from Mandy's post. You do amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me Too!!! I'm another Blog Hopper! Thank you so much for the TOOT!

    Did you ever publish this Design or one like it a few years ago... ???

    I remember seeing a project with rubber grommets where Beads were stitched into the groove of the grommet. When I saw that I ran right out to ACE and bought all sorts of grommets, various washers & metal rings, and rubber washers.

    You were an amazing inspiration to Mandy & now me... well when I quit waiting for my butt to get back up off the chair and start playing. Well someday, when life settles down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks ladies for all the wonderful compliments!! I'm humbled to be such an inspiration. I will be sure to update my blog more often. Are there any suggestions of what you would like to see? I'm thinking of a giveaway at some point.

    DesertGator: I haven't had anything washer related in print just yet. I have an article coming out at the end of the year and am working on several others to send in to magazines. I remember the project you are talking about, but I never had the time or materials to try it. I don't have the issue anymore, so I can't tell you who the designer was. I also know that Leslie Rogalski has beaded Oh rings before, but as far as I can tell, she only has a couple designs on the web. I didn't know about that one until a few months after I finished my red piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely sharing this tutorial on my blog. The washers not just anchor the design but add to it too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Pearl! I can't wait to see it there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a great idea and tut. I'll try this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks steufel and Deci! If you do make something, be sure to email me a photo at vanishingpearl@yahoo.com so I can share it along with Mandy's creation on my Facebook page! I'd love to start a collection of images inspired by my designs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks! I hope to try this soon. I think they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a clever use for a washer! Thank you for sharing the tutorial...I will be among those re-posting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoy beading, ladies! Pat, I look forward to seeing what you make.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is clever, and I think I could use it with my chain maille rings, too! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! I'm a little late commenting on this blog post but I just found you today through Inspirational Beading! I'm soo glad that I did! After looking through these comments I want to know who is Mandy?!? Anyway, what a great idea & like you said, there are so many possibilities!!! I can't wait to get started! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Lecia! I just saw this comment of yours. Mandy Duffy is a lady who in 2011 decided to teach herself beading and wanted to make something and share it for 365 days. She got pretty far, and shared the tutorial above here:

    http://beadsforbrains.blogspot.com/2011/07/day-193-beaded-washers.html#comments

    ReplyDelete